Our programs are designed to support students who want to walk and bike to school. Have we been successful? In a word, YES. But there is still more to be done! How do we know? Well, in spring 2011, we conducted surveys of students and parents to assess the impact our programs are having in the community.
We learned that:
- Twice as many students walk to/from CFIS and CFMS versus 2009 numbers
- Students report that walking is fun!
- The crossing guard program is appreciated and many want it to be expanded
- Increased police patrolling of school zones is effective
- The biggest deterrents to walking continue to be:
- amt. of traffic
- lack of sidewalks
- speed of traffic
- Students outside of walking distance want our programs to include them too (so we had drop off locations for Walk to School Day so everyone could take part!)
We are using this data as we develop programming for the 2012-2013 school year. To see a summary of the results from our 2009 and 2011 surveys of students/parents, see the presentation we’ve posted below.